FSK Lions Projects
The Francis Scott Key Lions Club is part of a worldwide organization of service clubs known as the International Association of Lions Clubs, or simply Lions Clubs International.
The Lions are men and women dedicated to serving those in need, whether in their own community or halfway around the world. The primary aim of Lionism is service, first to the club’s own community, then to those in need wherever they may be.
Each year, Lions Clubs perform services and provide goods to thousands of persons throughout the world, particularly to those with vision problems. Lions Clubs perform far more activities and help more people than any other service organization in the world today.
In addition to humanitarian service, Lions Clubs enjoy fellowship and develop leadership. The Lions have long been the world’s largest service club organization; there are Lions Clubs in over 170 countries and geographical locations throughout the world, with a membership of 1,400,000 in more than 40,000 Clubs. Of the major service clubs, the Lions were the first to invite women to membership worldwide.
During the course of the year, the FSK Lions undertake a variety of activities for fundraising, community service, and assisting other charities. Have a look at the list below – are there any that touch your life? You are welcome to join in helping others, part of a network of helping hands which extends around the world. The Lions are international, with approximately 1.2 million members around the world. Just about anywhere you go, there are Lions helping their communities. This is some of what we do in Frederick.
- White Cane Day
- Lions Vision Days to Support Lions Vision Research Foundation at Wilmer Eye Clinic
- Highway Cleanup
- Donations to Frederick Food Bank
- Salvation Army bell ringing
- Christmas greens sales (fund raising activity).
- Frederick Keys ticket sales (fund raising activity).
- Support for Lions Camp Merrick, a Lions funded summer camp for children with sight, hearing, or other impairments.
- Eyeglass collection for redistribution to people in need
- Adopted Hillcrest and North Frederick Elementary Schools
- Collection of Box Tops 4 Education for North Frederick Elementary School
- Sending birthday and Christmas cards to residents at Montevue Assisted Living
- Conducting pre-school vision screenings
- Providing computer program for visually-impaired youth
Updated: July 27, 2014.