Mission, Service, Objects, and Ethics.
To create and foster a spirit of understanding among all people for humanitarian needs by providing voluntary services through community involvement and international cooperation.
Lions Clubs International is the largest service organization in the world. The primary focus of Lions is the eradication of preventable blindness throughout the world. Projects have included eye clinics, cataract removal opportunities, and now the pre-school vision screening program. On a local level, the Lions have a presence at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, with the Lions Low Vision Center.
The Francis Scott Key Lions Club is one of the local Lions Clubs which has as its signature activity the pre-school vision screening program for children aged 3 to 5 years. Through the use of a Welch Allyn Sure Sight device, the power of the eye is measured, possible astigmatism is determined, and the mean spherical power between the two eyes is reviewed. We then conduct a test to determine if the child’s eyes are focusing properly. All of these tests are free and are done at daycare learning centers.
TO CREATE and foster a spirit of understanding among the people of the world.
TO PROMOTE the principles of good government and good citizenship.
TO TAKE an active interest in the civic, cultural, social and moral welfare of the community.
TO UNITE the clubs in the bonds of friendship, good fellowship and mutual understanding.
TO PROVIDE a forum for the open discussion of all matters of public interest; provided, however, that partisan politics and sectarian religion shall not be debated by club members.
TO ENCOURAGE service-minded people to serve their community without personal financial reward, and to encourage efficiency and promote high ethical standards in commerce, industry, professions, public works and private endeavors.
Lions Code of Ethics
- To Show my faith in the worthiness of my vocation by industrious application to the end that I may merit a reputation for quality of service.
- To Seek success and to demand all fair remuneration or profit as my just due, but to accept no profit or success at the price of my own self-respect lost because of unfair advantage taken or because of questionable acts on my part.
- To Remember that in building up my business it is not necessary to tear down another’s; to be loyal to my clients or customers and true to myself.
- Whenever a doubt arises as to the right or ethics of my position or action towards others, to resolve such doubts against myself.
- To Hold friendship as an end and not a means. To hold that true friendship exists not on account of the service performed by one another, but that true friendship demands nothing but accepts service in the spirit in which it is given.
- Always to bear in mind my obligations as a citizen to my nation, my state, and my community, as to give them my unswerving loyalty in word, act, and deed. To give them freely of my time, labor and means.
- To Aid others by giving my sympathy to those in distress, my aid to the weak, and my substance to the needy.
- To Be Careful with my criticism and liberal with my praise; to build up and not destroy.
Have you got makings of a Lion inside you? We welcome you to join with us in reaching our goals.